Sunday, July 19, 2015

Use Portfolios to Wrap Up Your School Year

portfolios work - how I used portfolios to help my homeschooled sons reflect on the year's learning. Raki's Rad Resources

This school year my “class” consisted of only three students – my own sons aged 4, 7 and 11. This year I stopped teaching in a classroom in exchange for an “alternative lifestyle”. My family bought an RV and we are traveling around the United States and homeschooling our boys in the process. You can learn more about what we’re up to at our family blog – RVing with the Rakis.

Even though I haven’t had a full class, I have had my hands full! However, seeing what my kids learned this year has been worth every minute. We have been working on a “year round schedule”, taking five weeks off at Christmas, three weeks off at Easter and so we have just this week finished for the year. Now we will be taking seven weeks off to relax and enjoy our summer.

During the last few weeks, the older two boys worked on building online portfolios of their growth and learning for this school year. Here are the results of their weeks of work:

Click here to open this binder in a new window.

 

Click here to open this binder in a new window.

 

 

No matter the size of your class or the age of your students, giving your students the chance to reflect on their own learning and growth each year is beneficial to them as students and to you as a teacher.

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment