Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Primary Writing Journals

Well, it’s the 6th week of school, and my kids have just completed their 1st week in their writing journals.  LOL – so much for good planning!  I didn’t realize before I made the journals that my kids would have so little writing experience walking into first grade.  Anyways, I took a step back and punted as the saying goes and spent the first few weeks on the fact that people write for a reason, and that writing allows us to get ideas across, and that writing happens in sentences.  Now, they are ready for brainstorming and writing, most of them.

 

Here are some examples of what I got out of them for Week 1’s Narrative Writing Prompt:  What do you like to do on the weekends?

 

Brainstorming

100_5891         100_5895   

 

Drafting

100_5892       100_5896

 

Conferencing   (I quickly figured out we are not ready for peer-conferencing, but will try again after a few weeks.)

 

100_5894                             100_5898

 

Scoring

100_5893

 

 

Now we are starting on Week 2 – What do you do when you get angry?  The kids had a variety of answers for brainstorming, from crying, to pouting, to throwing things.  I can’t wait to see the finished products on those!  If you want a copy of this Narrative Writing Journal, you can get it from my Raki’s Rad Resources store on TPT, just click HERE or on any of the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment