Monday, November 24, 2014

Math Projects For Your Classroom

In addition to running this blog, my RVing with the Rakis blog and homeschooling full time, I also create and sell resources that teachers can use in their classrooms and home schooling parents can use to help out their children.  To be fair, I am not creating nearly as many resources this year as I did in the past 9 years, for 2 reasons.  Reason #1 – I already have over 500 resources available in my Teachers Pay Teachers store, so much of what I need for my kiddos I have created already.  Reason #2 – I only have 3 students this year, so I have need of less resources.  However, I am going through resources that I made while I was teaching in a classroom full time and “cleaning them up” with clearer teacher directions, better fonts, etc.  I am also finishing out groupings or “series” that I have started and putting them into bundles so that teachers who are interested in buying multiple items from the same category have the opportunity to save some money.  For the next few weeks, I am going to spotlight some of these bundles here on my blog.

math project bundle

Math is best learned and practiced in relation to real life situations.  For this reason, my students have always worked on at least two different math projects during the course of a school year – often more if time allowed for it.  For the past two years, I kept the same students in a multiage classroom, so I wanted to make sure that they were doing new math projects that helped them work on different skill sets.  A few of my math projects – like the Balanced Checkbook project and the Holiday Shopping Project – can be done by the same student multiple times, but most should only be done once.  Because of this, I created new and different projects, and have now bundled them together into a set of 7 math projects, which is available for less than purchasing each project individually.  The seven math projects available in the set are:

 

 

 

Holiday Shopping (works on addition, subtraction and rounding while building a holiday shopping list)

Holiday Shopping Project

Ice Cream Shop (works on multiplication, division, subtraction and rounding while students split the bill at an ice cream shop)

Ice Cream Shop Project

Be an Architect (works on area and perimeter while students design their dream school)

Be an Architect Project

Balanced Checkbook (works on all 4 operations and rounding while students plan a monthly budget with salary and bill cards)

Balanced Checkbook Project

Party Planning Project (works on doubling, halving, tripling and quartering, as well as all 4 operations and rounding, while students plan recipes and a budget for a party)

Party Planner Project

Field Trip Project (works on elapsed time and all 4 operations while students create a plan for a field trip they would like to take)

Field Trip Math Project

Holiday Recipe Project (works on elapsed time, addition, subtraction and rounding while students create a plan to follow a holiday recipe)

Holiday Recipe Project

I hope one of these projects, or the entire bundle will help your students to practice their math skills with a real life application.  Happy teaching!

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment