Sunday, November 13, 2011

Top 10 Tattletales

100_6115100_6118Am I the only one sick of hearing, “He stuck his tongue out at me!”?  My kids have been driving each other crazy, and then telling me all about it.  I know it’s just that time of the year where they have gotten comfortable with each other and know how to to annoy each other, but goodness gracious!!!  Here is a list of the top 10 tattletales I have heard in the last week:

10.  He stuck his tongue out at me.

9.  He took my eraser.

8.  He took her paper. (For some reason they like to tattle for their friends too, even if they weren’t involved.)

7.  He touched something in my desk.  (When we do centers, we sit at each other’s desks, so I get this one a lot!)

6.  He sat where I wanted to sit.

5.  He laughed at me.

4.  He told me to shut up.  (I don’t know about your classrooms, but shut up is like a curse word in mine, so this one’s a big deal to the kids.)

3.  He cut me.  (In line, of course.)

2.  He threw a pencil. 

1.  He called me a bad name in Arabic.  (This is a big one in my room, because most of my students speak Arabic and know that I don’t, so they think they can get away with it.  I have convinced my kids that I know enough Arabic to know if they are cursing in Arabic.  And, yes I teach 1st grade, but they seem to know quite a few Arabic curse words, as I write down what they say and check them at home with my husband.)

 

 

My solution to the tattle tale problem?  I tell my kids I don’t need to know about it unless it hurts them, and if they tattle tale on something that doesn’t hurt them they will get in trouble right along with the person they are getting in trouble.  I don’t know that this is the best solution, but it is helping.  Of course, the other end of the story is that we talk a lot about being kind and filling each other’s buckets etc. etc.  I’d love to hear if you have a good solution to tattling.  Please comment here if you have a great solution to tattling!

 

P.S.  If you’re wondering, the boys in the pictures are my sons, not my students.  (Don’t worry, they tattle plenty too!)

 

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment