Saturday, April 14, 2012

Looking Through a Kid’s Eyes

I have been using the addition fact quizzes and subtraction fact quizzes with my students for months now.  Most of my students are doing fine, but I have a few who are having trouble, and I couldn’t figure out why.  Then, I gave the quizzes to my son and his first was was, “Mom, why is 2.5 + 2 ?”  I explained to him that the first 2 was the question number, and not part of the problem.  Then, I looked at the quiz harder and realized it did look like 2.5, hmmmmm…..

So, of I went back to my computer to make it more clear.  I fixed the Addition Fact Quizzesquizzes with a simple ) and some spaces, and then gave the new versions to my students – what do you know my struggling students can see the questions better now!  Some are still struggling, but there were definitely some who were getting tripped up on that dot!  Isn’t it amazing what can happen when we look at our resources through the eyes of our students? 

By the way – if you purchased any of my fact quizzes (addition, subtraction or multiplication), from my TPT store, they have all been updated with the clearer problem numbers.

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

Raki's Rad Resources on Teachers Pay Teachers rakishop622222252223 tn42223

No comments:

Post a Comment