Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sing a Song While You Wait

Dilly Dabbles

Transition times were my least favorite times of this year.  My first graders were terribly impatient and so the smallest nano-second of downtime led to big issues.  It took a lot of tries, and a lot of different strategies, but the strategy that worked the best for my students was “sing a song while you wait”.  During any wait time, I would call out the name of a song we knew, the kids would sing and hopefully by the time the song was done, we could be on to the next task.  It made for a loud class, but it did help keep the “issues” to a minimum.

We used a different transition time to learn our songs.  I had about 15 minutes in the beginning of the day when we were waiting for students and having a bathroom break.  During these 15 minutes, we learned a song a day until we had amassed quite a collection.  Here are some of the songs my kids loved best this year:

1.  Miss Mary Mack

2.  I’ve Been Working on the Railroad

3.  BINGO

4.  Say Say Oh Playmate

5.  Old Mac Donald

 

For more ideas on how songs can be used in your classroom, check out Dilly Dabbles’ Songs in the Classroom Linky Party.

 

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment