Thursday, November 8, 2012

Keeping Up With My Fast Math Students

Knowing our multiplication and division facts is a key part of building strong math students.  In my class, my students take a one-minute quiz each day, and they have gotten really fast!  Of course, I still have a few stragglers, but I have two students who have achieved success in multiplication and division.  In order to keep them involved in our class’ campaign to build automaticity, as well as to keep them practicing, I have developed additional tests for these two students.  TheUse these quick to color symbols to motivate students to practice their math facts. first set has a mixture of multiplication and division facts and the second set mixes up multiplication, division, addition and subtraction all together. 

These “quicker” students are super excited to continue adding to their lines on the pictograph we keep on our door.  They have both earned all of the suns we use to symbolize multiplication and almost all of the clouds we use to symbolize division.  For the next two sets of tests, they will work on earning stars and moons.  Grab the set that I use to help keep my students motivated for free from my Teachers Pay Teachers store.

What kind of fast fact assessments do you use in your classroom?

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! In the spring I do 1 minute tests for addition and subtraction with my kindergarteners! They'll love seeing their graph grow! Thanks for sharing!

    Greg


    Smedley's Smorgasboard of Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and the students can see at a glance their accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea....a great motivator!

    ReplyDelete