Thursday, January 31, 2013

Student Blogging

Recently, I announced that I will be presenting at the European Council of International Schools’ (ECIS) Technology conference. My presentation will be called Using Technology to Create Community. I will be sharing websites that can be used to create community and I have a special way I’d like to get all of the teachers in the “blogosphere” and beyond to truly show those at the conference what a global community can do for teachers and students. I’ll have more details on this February 27th. In the meantime, each week, I will be sharing with you all some of the websites I will be discussing in my presentation.

This week’s website is timely for me, because my students just started using it this week.  It is called edublogs.org and it allows my students (grades 2 - 4) to write their own blog post and comment on each others posts in a simple, safe way.

image

Now, I’m a cheap teacher, so I helped my students each sign up for individual free accounts, but there are fee based teacher programs that allow for simpler monitoring of your students and higher connectivity levels.  For my class, it works just as well for me to keep a copy of everyone’s passwords and monitor the blogs individually.

Edublogs runs on the same online formatting as a Wordpress blog, which is very simple to set up, design and post to.  There are many free themes for students to choose from (and plenty more available if you are willing to pay for an upgraded membership.)  The students can write posts, add pictures, click publish and their work is out on the internet and ready for the world to read.

image

My students are writing their blog posts at home - one blog post a week, and then posting two comments on their friends’ blogs.  We’ve been posting comments on each other’s storybirds for awhile, so my students are pretty good at leaving comments.  They love reading each other’s work, and are starting to suggest topics to each other, both in their comments and in class.  I love that homework becomes a group activity, instead of an isolated practice.  However, since I have varying levels of technology knowledge in my class, I was sure to provide as much assistance as possible by:

1. Modeling the entire process for the entire class using our projector.

image2.  Providing my students with a cheat sheet full of screen shots to help guide them at home.  (If you’d like a copy, feel free to download it free from Google Docs.)

3.  Being available on Edmodo on the first night of posting and commenting, so that I could quickly respond to questions.

The coolest part of having programs where they can read each other’s work at home is that the classroom naturally flows into their home lives and their home lives naturally flow into the classroom.  This community building helps our class discussions to focus on topics that are interesting to the students, which of course means that students learn and remember more.

How have you used student blogging in your classroom?

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

8 comments:

  1. My class of third graders is blogging on Kidblog.org. We set up our class blog about a month ago and the kids are loving it. It's completely secure and private, password protected and I've set it so that I have to approve every post and comment. I set a weekend assignment every week and we also have a blog choice board with 9 different post topics that they can work on whenever they feel like. I varied it so we have a personal story, an opinion piece, a random 5, research, a "how to" etc. This week we wrote prediction posts for Groundhog Day and will comment on them - and a groundhog festival - over the weekend. It's great fun and some of my more reluctant writers are much more interested now that they can see their classmates work and comment on it. So far I'm the only teacher in 18 primary classes at our school doing this but I'm hoping some of the others will join us so that we link up with another class :) Long comment - sorry :) Your presentation sounds like it's going to be really interesting!!
    Lynn

    Fun in the Fours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your long comment! I like your ideas and may steal some of them to use with my class.

      Heidi Raki
      www.rakisradresources.com

      Delete
  2. Hi Heidi,
    I have an edublog account and I have yet to use it with my students. Your clear explanation above has inspired me to try blogging with my students when we go back to school after our February break. I've also been rethinking the homework that I've been having my students do and I think this would be a great way to alternate reading and writing at home.
    Regards,
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're considering giving it a try. I bet your kids will love it.

      Heidi Raki
      www.rakisradresources.com

      Delete
  3. Hi Heidi,
    First of all, thank you for your great blogposts! I enjoy checking out your ideas and seeing what your class is doing. I started blogging with my second graders this year as a pilot project for electronic portfolios. I set up my class blog/newsletter on Weebly, the address is ljatigertalk.weebly.com. I then set up each students blog. Right now their blogs are private with all the same passwords. They can comment on each other's blog posts because they know the password.
    ON their blogs you will find writing, interviews, pictures, journal prompt homework, unit inquiries, spelling word practices, summative assessments and more. I definitely want to tweak the project for next year but overall I am happy with the project. My students love blogging and get excited when we blog. It has also served as a powerful reflection tool. Students made the comment that they didn't want me to share their very first blog entries because they weren't very good... They see themselves as writers who are working hard to develop and refine their writing skills! Good luck with your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,

    I agree that having the kids read each other's work so regularly lets them really begin to think of themselves as writing to an audience. I saw this with my kids when I began having them leave comments on each others' storybirds too.

    Heidi
    www.rakisradresources.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just joined edublogs myself! I can't wait for the kids to get started but I have to wait for admin approval...so excited though!
    Dianne
    Hopelessly Devoted to Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm halfway there! I'm using Weebly, but I'm the only real blogger at this point. I mostly use it to display things we're doing in class. The kids get to comment on the posts, and they LOVE it. I've had two of my students write guest blog posts with me during our computer lab time, and I plan to have more guest blogger before the year is over. Maybe next year I'll take it a step further to have everyone blog with edublogs!

    ReplyDelete