Monday, March 25, 2013

Do You Judge a Resource by its Cover?

You know the saying don’t judge a book by it’s cover?  How much of a lie is that!  I was standing in the bookstore the other day and I totally judged each book by it’s cover.  If it was missing the cute cover, I didn’t pick it up and look at it.

This was an eye opener for me.  For almost 4 years now, I have been fighting the “cute cover” that everyone puts on their resources on Teachers Pay Teachers.  I’ve always thought that people would prefer to see what they are getting than a cute cover.  I also thought that if the product itself was what a teacher needed, than that would matter more.  These days, I am beginning to wonder.

So, today I went through my Vocabulary Packets and re-worked the covers.  What do you think?

Here’s the before:

tools

And the after:

image

Pin the cover that you like better to a Pinterest board.

Does the change in cover make you more willing to look at the product?  Does the change in cover make you more willing to buy the product?  I’m really interested in knowing your honest responses, so please leave me a comment.

I think that the second cover will get more pins.  I think this is also going to teach me a lesson.  Over the course of the next few months, I will be working on re-covering and re-working many of my products.  Of course, since I have over 400 products on Teachers Pay Teachers and I create new stuff for my classroom every day, this may take awhile!

This concept also got me thinking about my students’ presentations.  In today’s image centered, web based world, should we be teaching more about making your web based productions (glogs, prezi’s etc.) stand out?  Should that now be a part of publishing your writing?  Hmmmm…thoughts to ponder.

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

3 comments:

  1. This is a constant topic of conversation. Covers, covers, ect. I think it goes back to the idea that so many of us are visual learners and we want to see visually appealing things.

    I completely understand the frustration of always having to build a great cover, because content should be king/queen. Yet, I do like making a good looking cover.

    thanks
    Matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to say I'm a cute cover person. However, it doesn't have to be "cutesie" to get my attention because there are some sellers who make plainer covers that are neat and clean looking and I still look at those (especially if it's for an older age range) I like your new covers - they stand out more for me :) You seriously have 400 products?! I am in awe - I make tons of things for my classroom all the time but I'm so SLOW at translating those into products - mainly because I like to use them first then tweak them then play a bit more... time just passes and the thing is still sitting on my desktop :)

    Lynn

    Fun in the Fours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm guilty as charged. :) Especially in a bookstore! Covers of packets not so much because I teach 5/6 grade, and I'm looking more for content.

    You made some insightful remarks about what we should be teaching our kids. I have to say that since so many are visual learners (including myself) they probably need to be taught how to accomplish that. :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete