Monday, May 27, 2013

Exposing Our Students to a Variety of Voices

As a teacher, I feel that it’s my responsibility to expose my students to multiple view points and opinions, in order to give them a chance to form their own view points and opinions.  This year, I have worked with my class to begin sharing their view points and opinions – both in writing on their blogs and in movies we have created.  Generally, my students compare their movie clips with the professional movies that they see on t.v. or d.v.d’s.  I have been encouraging them to view YouTube videos as another source of comparison, but this week I get my best opportunity yet.  I have been offered a 3 month free subscription to a great website called Indie Flix, which is a subscription website that shares videos and series created by independent film makers.  My class will be viewing a variety of films from the “Family” channel, as a source of inspiration, as well as simply having new, quality films to add to our curriculum.  One of the favorites that I have watched today is called Wood of Value, about cutting down trees for Christmas celebrations in Norway.  It will surely lend a great conversation to our Forest unit!Watch this video on girl on girl bullying.

In addition, I have enjoyed watching the new film, Finding Kind, about girl on girl bullying.  While the subject is slightly ahead of my particular class, watching it myself has given me a better viewpoint and understanding on the subject.  This viewpoint will help me as I help guide my girls in treating each other nicely.  Even at a young age, we see the mean girl treatment happening, so as educators, it is extremely important to be cognizant of how our students are treating each other and the impacts that this treatment can have.  Finding Kind is streaming on Indie Flix until May 31st, so stop by and check it out.  Previously, this film was only available in special screenings, so it’s great to have it now available.  It is only $6.99 for those without a subscription.  However, the great folks at Indie Flix have also given me 10 FREE 2 month subscriptions to giveaway!  So, if you are interested in one of those subscriptions – here’s what you need to do:

1.)  Follow Raki’s Rad Resources in a new way – here are the many places you can follow us:

Blog

Pinterest

Facebook

Twitter

Teachers Pay Teachers

Teacher’s Notebook

You Tube

Newsletter

3.)  Leave us a comment, telling me: where you are now following us, how you use films and videos with your class and of course your e-mail address.

 

I will e-mail subscription codes to the first 10 people who leave comments.

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

10 comments:

  1. Follow you on Facebook. We watch videos and discuss what math is being used. mrs.math@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, your subscription link has been sent to your e-mail address. Enjoy!

      Heidi Raki
      www.rakisradresources.com

      Delete
  2. What grades do you use the video with? I teach 4th grade and try to incorporate as much video as I reasonably can...students are familiar with the video format and tend to pay attention to short video films and clips. However, I am not always able to find appropriate video for the classroom... Very intrigued by your selection of movies, will view them and consider them for my class next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora,
      I teach a 3rd/4th grade mix class, but also have the 1st/2nd graders for certain times of the day. We create math videos on our iPad and have created science videos and movie trailers using iMovie. You can find everything we have made (that does not show student faces) on my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/rakiradresource. The videos that show student faces are listed as private links, due to student privacy rules at my school.

      Heidi Raki
      www.rakisradresources.com

      Delete
  3. This is a great find. Thanks for pointing out this video. I'm always amazed at how unaware my female students are when they exclude and say hurtful things. I teach third grade and absolutely love my students, but this mean spirit seems to rear it's ugly and feels almost innate in some situations. I LOVE it integrate tech and video into our lessons. When I can't find one, I have the kids make a video so I'll have one for the next year. They love the creative process as well.

    I now follow you on the blog and youtube. Very interesting.
    acp0056@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, your subscription link has been sent to your e-mail address. Enjoy!

      Heidi Raki
      www.rakisradresources.com

      Delete
  4. I follow you on Facebook and blog post via email. Thanks for the information about videos. I use them for Social Studies and Math, but would love to expand what I am currently using. I currently teach 2nd, but may be moving grades next year. I am very interested in watching the film, Finding Kind.

    Sheryl Boyd
    slboyd05@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, your subscription link has been sent to your e-mail address. Enjoy!

      Heidi Raki
      www.rakisradresources.com

      Delete
  5. following you on twitter and blog =) I am always look for new videos to use as it engaged my middle schoolers in learning. I'd love to use the bullying video with my girls group.

    Amanda
    along.anderson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, your subscription link has been sent to your e-mail address. Enjoy!

      Heidi Raki
      www.rakisradresources.com

      Delete