Sunday, June 23, 2013

Is texting hurting or helping our students?

Professional Development Sundays at Raki's Rad Resources

Recently, I posted about how my school is using Facebook and Pinterest as part of our professional development.  (See the whole post HERE.) I’ve decided to pass on some of the best videos and articles I come across to you each Sunday evening.  Here is this week’s professional development post:

Is texting hurting or helping our students?  Professional Development Sundays at Raki's Rad Resources

 Texting and tweeting are a common form of communication among our students.  I constantly hear from other teachers about how this is killing our students’ ability to spell and use proper grammar.  This great video from John McWhorter argues the opposite.  He talks about how texting is actually developing into it’s own dialect and is giving our students the ability to be bilingual, while only speaking English.  This video is only about 13 minutes long and it’s completely worth watching!  When you’re done, I’d love to hear where you stand on the texting debate.

  

If you’re interested in more professional development videos – follow my Professional Development Pinterest board.

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment