Monday, October 14, 2013

I’m Not Superwoman!

Do you think you are superwoman?  What are some of your tips for balancing teaching and a familyRecently, I was told that I think I am Superwoman.  I don’t think this is necessarily true, but I do think that like many women who are teachers and mothers, I take on more than I probably should.  :)  I teach fulltime.  I have 3 sons under the age of 10.  I write almost daily blog posts here at Raki’s Rad Resources and maintain my TPT store.  Right now, I am also taking an online class to become PYP certified.  In the past, I have done tutoring and French lessons as additional pieces of my work load.  So, yeah, maybe I do sometimes act like I am Superwoman.  However, I also have an extremely supportive husband and a housekeeper who comes daily to cook and clean.  (One of the many joys of living as an expat in Morocco!)

 This week, I was stripped of my Superwoman cape and thrown on the floor by a simple hernia surgery.  I noticed the bump from the hernia a few weeks ago and have been doing the run around of doctors the last few weeks trying to figure out what it was and how it was to be taken care of.  For all of my stressing out about the surgery, I did not expect the surgery to knock me off my feet as bad as it did and honestly thought I’d be back at work this week.  I had my surgery Friday and today was the first day I could stand long enough to wash my hair.  Obviously, I’m not back at work and I’m not feeling like Superwoman.

This surgery has been good for me.  It has been good for my physical health and was a necessary surgery.  In addition, it was a good reminder for me that even if I want to be, I’m not Superwoman, but just a regular person who sometimes has to slow down and allow time for my body to rest and heal.  I will be out of work all of this week, and hope to use the time off for resting and healing (even though I’m already a bit bored, lol!)  Now, I’m looking for tips to find more balance.

Do you think you are Superwoman?  Please leave a comment letting us know what you are balancing, as well as a tip to finding a good balance in your life.  I know that most of the teachers in the world are truly Superwomen and I’d love to learn how you all balance all of your responsibilities.

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

2 comments:

  1. I feel for you. I've been there and it's not easy. This school year is the first I am not my grade-level's POC in many years, but I am part of the School Improvement Team. I have the inclusion class, which I love. But I've never had such a big range of needs as this year. My son graduated from high school last June and we are now empty nesters. We are now do e with sports practices, being Team parents, Fundraisers for my son's graduating class, football games, track and field and basketball games. We are do e with PeeWee Fottball and games every Friday or Saturday. We are done with sleepovers, parties, proms and chaperoning all of them. We are done with tutoring, homework clubs, spelling bees and & JROTC. However, both my dad and father-in-law are sick and are receiving treatment for their conditions. 2 weeks ago they both had complications and had to go to the hospital. Thank God they were in the same hospital and on the same floor. :). Right now I'm back in the Emergency room with my dad. God bless him. Today's a holiday so I didn't have school. My mom and mother-in-law need help too. I go exercise at 5:00 am so as not to disturb anyone's routine. But by 10:00 pm I need to be in bed, taken care of my girls (4 dogs and 2 cats, all rescued) and get ready for the next day. But hey, it's my life and I wouldn't change it for anything else. I have a wonderful husband who juggles everything with me. We're in this together and support each other in every way we can. You just do it because it has to be done. Im happy and my loved ones are too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, you are SUPERWOMAN! Your father and father in law are in my thoughts and prayers!

    Heidi Raki
    www.rakisradresources.com

    ReplyDelete