Friday, February 19, 2016

Jumping Back into Action with Geometry

After a year and a half of homeschooling, I have handed the homeschool reigns over to my husband and headed back into the classroom. On Tuesday, I started working with an amazing second grade teacher at a charter school here in Albuquerque. I get the joy of learning from her while she prepares to have her baby in late March. Then once she has the baby, I will stay on and supply teach for her. While the first few days back were tiring - I forgot how physical teaching a class is! - they were also amazing. She has a class of eighteen students with a wide range of abilities who are mainly English language learners, my specialty! 

It was wonderful to jump into guided reading and word work with the kids, but the most fun has been math. The class is working on geometry, 2D and 3D shapes, sides, vertices, all that good second grade stuff.  This week we focused on 2D shapes. 

First we walked around the school and found real life shapes, then the students created art with their shapes:

Teaching geometry to second graders - shape art, interactive notebook pages, videos and songs. All suggestions from Raki's Rad Resources.


Next we listened to The Shape Song:


And The Greedy Triangle: (This Youtube version is obviously read by a teacher. There are great think alouds and reading comprehension questions built into the video.)

Finally, we reflected on our learning with my 2D Shapes Interactive Notebook Pages.

Teaching geometry to second graders - shape art, interactive notebook pages, videos and songs. All suggestions from Raki's Rad Resources.



2-dimensional shapes interactive notebook pages - includes reference page and reflection options. Geometry resource from Raki's Rad Resources


What a great way to start my journey back into the classroom! I am so excited by this new opprtunity.



No comments:

Post a Comment