Sunday, February 5, 2012

Why do you teach?

I’m not going to lie, I have a challenging class this year.  I have more behavior issues than I’ve had in a long time, and I have students on all ends of the academic spectrum.  There are days where I do more managing than I do teaching.  There are days when I start scolding kids before I even get them to my classroom.  There are days that I feel like nothing I am teaching is sinking in.

Then, there are days like yesterday.  I don’t know what caused my kids to be wonderful yesterday, but they were so wonderful, they reminded me why I went into teaching.  (In fact, I wish I knew what caused it, because I’d love to make every day like yesterday!)  Here are some of the great things that happened in my classroom yesterday:

1.  A girl, who only knew 5 sight words and was shaky on her letters in September, read me a good story with lots of new words, and was able to sound through unfamiliar words and understand what she was reading.

2.  I saw two students who have “gotten” reading help a third student who hasn’t quite “gotten” reading yet through this week’s shared reading story, taking time to point out how to sound out a hard word, without making him feel bad.

100_58463  A girl, whose first day of school writing consisted of “i wt dp” (I watch dolphins on tv.), wrote 5 sentences, and then brought them to show me, telling me “Look Ms. Raki, I used 2 periods, 2 question marks and shouting stick!”

4.  One of my higher readers read me a whole page of the Magic Tree House Dinosaurs Before Dark, which we just finished reading in read aloud.

5. I had 2 students move to a new level in our addition facts contest.

6.  One of my lowest readers (who only knew 10 letters in September) sounded through a C level book and was able to read every word!

7.  We were able to line up and walk to and from recess without me having to raise my voice!

8.  My kids were all able to find the mistakes in the Daily Language “fix it” sentence, even that a person’s name needed a capitol.

9. My biggest trouble maker got up and removed himself from a troublesome situation and was able to keep himself concentrating long enough to answer 2 questions during calendar.
moneyeasy3


10.  I watched 4 kids share a money self-correcting puzzle and help each other when they got stuck counting the coins.


Days like these remind me why I go into teaching.  It’s a hard job, but it’s worth every second when you see your students finally “get it”, or when you stop and think about how far they’ve come since the beginning of the year.

Anyways, I was so excited that I just had to share.  Please take some time to share what has gone well in your classroom lately by adding a comment here or posting it on my facebook fan page.

signature
rakishop6222



No comments:

Post a Comment