Monday, August 6, 2012

Using QR Codes to Teach Vocab - Spotlight Blogger - Michelle Lundy from Making it as a Middle School Teacher

spotlight blogger Welcome back to Raki's Rad Resources for our latest Spotlight Blogger.  My family and I are camping right now, and we are taking a break from all screens in an effort to recharge our batteries and get ready for the new school year.  While we are gone, I hope you are enjoying the spotlight bloggers who have agreed to guest blog for me.  Be sure to pin the posts you like, as the spotlight blogger with the most pins on their post will win a special prize!  And then, please stop by their blogs and see all the awesome things they have to offer you.






Hi everyone!
 
My name is Michelle Lundy from Making It As A Middle School Teacher and I am so excited to be guest posting for Heidi on Raki's Rad Resources today!
 
When I guest blog for someone, I try to put myself in their shoes and write about things I know are near-and-dear to the blog-owner's heart.
 
I know Heidi loves to incorporate technology into her classroom and I know she is currently teaching English Language Learners.
 
So let's combine those two things using QR codes!  I use SnapMaze to generate my QR codes.  It is a free website.
 
Give your students flash cards with pictures of grade-level vocabulary words.  Generate a QR Code for each vocabulary word and copy and paste it to the flash cards.  Have students spell the word in their home language and in English on the log sheet, then they can scan the QR Code to see if they spelled the word correctly.
 
It takes a few minutes to type the words into a QR Code Generator, but no longer than it would take you to produce a worksheet.  Once you get the hang of it, you can move rather quickly.
 
Here are some examples I made so you can see what the flash cards might look like.  I picked words from a range of difficulty levels for these examples.
 
Go ahead and try them out with a QR Code Scanner on your cell phone or tablet.  They work from the computer screen as well!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here is a freebie Log Sheet for you to use, no matter what grade level you teach or difficulty of vocabulary words your students are working on.  Click on the image to download.
 
 
I hope you will find this activity useful for you and your students!
 
Thanks again to Heidi for allowing me to share her blog today.
 
 
Enjoy :)
 
Making It {and smiling},
 
 
 
 
Michelle Lundy has been a Middle School Teacher for 6 years, teaching all 3 grade levels, but most of her time has been spent with 7th graders.  She is the author of Making It As A Middle School Teacher blog.  She also contributes to several collaborative teaching blogs.
 
Michelle is married with 3 sons, ages 18, 19, and 21.  She also has 4 dogs, a cat, and a classroom pet turtle.  She lives in Georgia, in the southern region of the United States.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. This looks interesting. I would love to have one of my own. Thanks for a great idea.
    Online qr code generator

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love this idea - thanks for being a Spotlight Blogger!

    Heidi Raki

    ReplyDelete