Thursday, January 24, 2013

7 FREE iPad Apps to Use as a Ticket Out the Door

Today, I have a the honor of being the January Featured Teacher at Angela Watson’s blog: The Cornerstone with my post on making every moment a learning moment.  Stop by her blog for five specific ideas and here’s one more that I just started doing this week.




Using a learning ticket out the door has been around for awhile, but this week, I’ve started using my iPad to help take the prep work out of the ticket process.  One of my complaints about many iPad apps is that they are just big quizzes.  However, since that is exactly what I Using iPad apps as a ticket out the door - 7 free apps for you to use - compiled by Raki's Rad Resources.need for a quick ticket out the door, I finally put two and two together this week and started standing at the door with my iPad instead of a set of index cards with questions.  We have been using a Math Fact App called Flash to Pass this week.  Each student answers one question and we try to get through all of the questions before the timer goes off.  Here are 6 more iPad apps you could use as a ticket out the door:

Using iPad apps as a ticket out the door - 7 free apps for you to use - compiled by Raki's Rad Resources.1.)  Telling Time Free is one of my students’ favorite apps.  It gives an image of an analogue clock and then challenges them to create the matching time on a digital clock.

2.) iLearn Continents and Oceans is an app my kids have Using iPad apps as a ticket out the door - 7 free apps for you to use - compiled by Raki's Rad Resources.played to learn their continents and oceans.  It has a great quiz section that works fabulously as a ticket out the door.  iLearn also has apps for specific areas in the world, but those aren’t free – Smile, so I haven’t tried them out personally.

Using iPad apps as a ticket out the door - 7 free apps for you to use - compiled by Raki's Rad Resources.3.) Action Words is an app I use frequently with my English Language Learners (ESL students).  It shows them four pictures and says an action word.  Students choose the picture which identifies the word.  I love it because there are action words beyond stand, sit, and jump, things like stretching, pointing, praying and exercising.

Using iPad apps as a ticket out the door - 7 free apps for you to use - compiled by Raki's Rad Resources.
4.)  My Math App is similar to Flash to Pass.  It allows students to work through randomly generated math facts in any of the four operations.

Using iPad apps as a ticket out the door - 7 free apps for you to use - compiled by Raki's Rad Resources.5.)  Comparative Adjectives is similar to the Action Words app, but it works on things like larger than, more colorful than etc.  Again, this app is wonderful for my English Language Learners (ESL students).

Using iPad apps as a ticket out the door - 7 free apps for you to use - compiled by Raki's Rad Resources.6.)  Grammaroppolis has great quizzes to work on different types of nouns and this site makes a great ticket out the door.  There are other parts of speech available in Grammaroppolis, but they cost money – Smile.

What app could you use for an iPad Ticket Out the Door?
Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment