Thursday, January 10, 2013

Lessons Learned in Ireland

My family and I have been back from our wonderful winter vacation in Ireland for almost a week now and we’re busily trying to get back into “real life”.  My husband and I rented a house in Ireland.  We took our three sons (age 8, 5 and 1 1/2) and my grandmother traveled from the US to meet us there.  It was a wonderful time and a great way to expose to yet Exploring Ireland with my family over winter breakanother different culture and different ways of doing things.  It was also a way to experience the “Christmas feeling” that we miss by living in Morocco, a country where most people do not celebrate Christmas.  Here are some of the things my family learned/experienced during our trip:

1.) British/Irish English – Many of our fellow expats here in Morocco are from England or Ireland, so we are used to this dialect, but being surrounded by thiExploring Ireland with my family over winter breaks daily for 2 weeks gave me a better understanding of where the differences between British English and American English lie.  It was fun to see signs that said “Take Away” instead of “Takeout” and “To Let” instead of “For Rent”, and to hear 8:30 described as “half 8”.  As I am teaching a UK curriculum this year, this reminder of the vocabulary differences was very important for me and I am trying to be sure to include both sets of vocabulary when I am working with my students.

2.)  Short Days – To truly understand the concept of Exploring Ireland with my family over winter breakhow short a day is in the northern climates, you must truly be there.  Since we were in Ireland during the winter, the sun didn’t come up until 9:30 a.m. and it was completely down by 4:45 p.m.  The lack of sunlight has an effect on you, but I would love to go back in the summer when I was told that the sun comes up by 5 a.m. and doesn’t go down until almost 11 p.m.

Exploring Ireland with my family over winter break3.)  Driving on the Left Side of the Road – Not only the driving, but also realizing that the side we drive on is also the side we walk on and the side we of the stairs we go up.  I often found myself walking on the wrong side, especially when going up the stairs.   

4.)  History is amazingly interesting!  I love exploring old buildings and cemeteries and Ireland was great for this. We explored castles, churches, cemeteries and even New Grange, a tomb that older than the pyramids!  Here are some pictures of what we saw:

Exploring Ireland with my family over winter break     Exploring Ireland with my family over winter break

Exploring Ireland with my family over winter break     Exploring Ireland with my family over winter break

Exploring Ireland with my family over winter break            Exploring Ireland with my family over winter break

The money I earned from selling teaching resources on Teachers Pay Teachers helped us to afford this amazing trip.  If you are interested in creating a Teachers Pay Teachers store for yourself – click HERE for more details.

 

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

4 comments:

  1. Ireland is absolutely gorgeous!! We were there 2 summers ago, just my husband and I, and spent a glorious week in a little cottage in the middle of nowhere. We were probably the only guests to have the heat on in August but it was so worth it - and yes, it's light till 10.30 at least. Fabulous for hiking! (The driving didn't bother us since we drive on the left at home anyway :) )
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,
    Thank you for sharing some of your holiday photos. Having your kids experience different cultures is such a wonderful way for them to learn!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, I was so excited to see your post. I found it when I started reading and the 5 star blogger challenge and saw your link. May I ask where you were in Ireland? I spent 6 months living in Cork, from Jan- June way back in 1995. I loved my time there although I must say I dont remember the sun coming up so late, but then again we were on the Southernmost part of the country. I traveled all around, from Kinsale, to Galloway, DUblin, Waterford and so on. My only regret is I did not make it to the Cliffs of Moher or Northern Ireland!
    ~Bex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bex,

      We were in County Monaghan, about an hour north west of Dublin. It was a beautiful area. I'd love to go back in the summer some time and travel around more of the country.

      Heidi
      www.rakisradresources.com

      Delete