Thursday, November 7, 2013

Giving Students a Chance to Teach the Class

image A few weeks ago, one of my students got so excited about a topic in Science, Apollo 13, that he asked to be able to teach the class about it.  When he suggested this in class, a few other students got excited at the concept of a kid taking over the class.  Seeing the fire in these students’ eyes, I was inspired.  So, I have given my students the option of taking over the class to teach us about anything they want to.  In order to help the students along the process, I created a project sheet and rubric, just to give them guidelines.

At home, I have done genius projects with my personal children, but have never found a way to fit this type of a free choice project into a busy school day.  I hope to use this project as a way to give my students the option of learning about something that truly interests them, and allows them to see that learning can really be an amazing process.

If you would like to do this type of a project with your class, feel free to download my Become an Expert – Teach the Class Project free from Google Docs.

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

2 comments:

  1. Just a little training and process become child a chance to teach the class. With the help of well certified trainer, child has able to teach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I'll definitely be using it with my fifth graders

    x Serena x

    ReplyDelete