Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Different Look at Literacy

pdsunday

Recently, I posted about how my school is using Facebook and Pinterest as part of our professional development.  (See the whole post HERE.) I’ve decided to pass on some of the best videos and articles I come across to you each Sunday evening.  Here is this week’s professional development post:

image

In so many schools, art and music are seen as unnecessary, or extra.  Drama and film making are seen as extra curricular.  Is this the correct way, or can teaching students the grammar of these modes of communication give them an extra way to express themselves?  For my part, I try to integrate the arts into my lessons – by doing things like letting students create videos in science or complete art projects to go along with a reading response.  I’m not sure I’m going far enough, but I was highly intrigued with George Lucas’ talk in this video comparing the different ways we can be literate.  Take 4 1/2 minutes and enjoy this video.  Then, I’d love to here what you think about alternate illiteracies.

 

If you’re interested in more professional development videos – follow my Professional Development Pinterest board.

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment